Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Spring Trainning Update

The winter group ride in Boulder, one of the best in the country.


Spring is coming fast in Boulder this year. We have had several days of 60+ degree weather. This makes for some easy motivation and big group rides. The famous weekend group ride in Boulder is about 2.5 hours long and usually attracts over 60 riders! With lots of cross winds, a steady pace, and a stop to regroup after the Carter Lake climb/smack down, this ride is a lot of fun and makes for some great training.
I participated in this group ride, along with two of my clients, just this past weekend. I am always careful with group rides and urge caution with my clients as well. Too much of a good thing can be bad for the legs and end your season early if approached the wrong way. For me and my two clients this past Saturday, the training was perfect. With all of us preparing for the Tour of the Gila later in the year, this fast, flat, windy ride makes for great stage one preparation. We finished off the day with a steep 30 minute climb. The ride was fairly long, 4.5 hours or so, while still being quite intense.
I ended up producing around 3500 kilojoules and had spent 30 minutes in the red zone.

I had mixed feelings about one of my clients dropping me on the last climb of the day, but I knew it was coming. While I was disappointed that I couldn’t respond to his brutal pace, I couldn’t be happier about his performance. He is responding to his program better than I imagined. He will be a major player this season.

In other news, racing season has started. While I skipped out on the first race of the season, a teammate and I will be headed to Tucson for a three day stage race this weekend. Check back here soon for real time updates from the race.


No one had enough air on the ride
to chat but evening plans
were still made before hand

No comments: