What are your goals for 2013?
With each year that that passes I reach for a little more with coaching and EK Endurance Coaching as a whole. I seek out to learn more. Gain more knowledge. Research new training methods in hopes to figure out if they are a passing fad or something that has some merit and may last. I seek out new athletes to coach. Of course right! I have to pay the bills! I have always said, and still do, that I will never compromise the quality or individuality of my coaching to "run a business". I have held that promise and I will continue to. At this point I will have great difficulty taking on new clients without lowering the quality of my product. this happens all the time. you have seen it before. the new restaurant is great. the food superber privately owned, you get a free beer every now and then, happy hr is inexpensive, very tasty. then the price goes up. so little you barely notice, then the portions get smaller, then the bartender is replaced and in a uniform. he's friendly enough but not the same. the consistency in the food starts to go and the next thing you know its a chain growing to the next state. I am all for capitalization but as the consumer this can suck 9 times out of 10.
this will never happen to me. Why? How? I am not in business to "be in business" or run a company or turn a good margins for share holders. I am in business because I LOVE DOING THIS!
How am I going to grow without turning people away and uphold quality? especially with sponsoring 20+ races in CO this year! This is how.
1. our 2 associate coaches Derek and Nick will both be taking a larger part in our space. Both will be taking on more athletes even if not right away. and we are still looking for another triathlon coach whom I think will fit. as 24-7 coaching grows they will take a larger support role there. what 24-7 coaching.
2. New product #1. 24-7 Coaching. this is a very inexpensive what to get expert coaching and training advice for you and your goals. Our private forums and methods work. How do I know this? because its the same methods I have been using, Growing and adapting for 10 years of coaching. there are other training "groups" out there, some very successful. I know this format works. my goal is to give athletes a place with resources that works and is very low cost. the coast will stay at 99.0$ for a years member ship until at least July or about 100 members. we'll see how it goes. My Goal here. produce a better product than any current "group" out there by getting better results for less coast to the athlete. This space we have created is also a home for the rest of out teams communication. group rides, runs, workouts that I or another coach may be leading meeting up at races, etc.
communication is knowledge and knowledge gets results. I have always said training plans don't work and its generally the athletes fault because they lake the how and why of training with out a coach. 24-7 coaching is the how and why.
3. New product #2. On site coaching. On site coaching. this has always been an option but never spelled out. This past year we have had enough interest and need for this that it is now offered from myself. contact us for a consult. Time is limited.
4. New Product #3. Team Performance Director. I plan to take the "sponsorship" aspect of coaching amateur teams to a new level. discounts on coaching? access to our partners? sure but that's easy. this will entail a full scope of services aimed at getting your entire team (or group within your team) to a new level. racing tactics and strategies, individual training, making sure each rider has the full gamete of resources at their disposal. seminars and clinics to synchronize the self tactics of the individual riders with that of the team tactics and big pictures goals. I have done this in separate pieces before. sponsoring teams, being the "training coordinator", etc. Team director services for the amateur club or team. What shape this takes will depend on the team.
5. This year we have 3 athletes that have the goal and the ability to go pro. as well and an athlete who has the goal and ability to qualify for Hawaii. my goals here? 2 out of 4? 3 out of 4? If you know anything about me you know its 4 out of 4 or I will loss sleep over the one that didn't reach their potential. but with our 97% goal attainment rate I have confidence.
Personally, away form the business side, I have some goals as well.
- I would like to qualify for the triathlon world championships in Kona, Hawaii again.
- I will aim to produce a better result than i did at the St. George IM in 2012.
- better structure on my days and how I use my time. this on is obvious if I plan to do the above 2 goals and everything else I mention above!
- spend more time remote. working from home and not punching a clock has its advantages. when i tell people what I do that's all most people think about. what they don't realize is that running your own business or doing anything that you deeply care about. something that defines you as a person, and will for the rest of your life, there are more than a few restless nights. That said I have not taken advantage of seeing friends and family enough. this year I will seek out extra time to travel, spend more time out east after IM lake placid to see friends, etc.
So what are your goals. dont' make a "resolution". don't make a rule, rules suck and there is exception to them all. If there is even one exception its not a rule. the path to any goal is never a straight line. so get ready to adapt. Get ready to change plans, directions and strategies.
What are your goals for 2013?
So there we go. I have given myself a big glass to fill. 364 days to go!