Friday, December 22, 2006

For Sale.

Can't beat this deal!!!

http://boulder.craigslist.org/bik/252399692.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------





When I was in college my rowing coach asked me where I got my legs from. Where I got my “base” from. Everyone, Pro athletes especially, have a level of genetic ability that they are boprn with but even more important is what have they been doing since they were 5 years old. Or earlier.
I told her it was probably from hiking, climbing, “I played soccer in high school?” I really didn’t know. I didn’t grow up riding my road bike for hours and x-country skiing all day for fun like some of my freakishly strong friends. What I have done since I was 2 years old, however, is down hill ski. I have been doing it for so long that I forgot how hard it really is. Christmas day Lindsay and I went to Copper mt. and after a easy run together I started to hit it hard. I mean I thought I was Scott Schmitt for an hour or so. By the time 2pm rolled around I was paying for it. My legs burned, the 12,000 feet of altitude was making me more tired than normal and my back started to feel like Derek Jeter had batting practice on it!


Which brings me to THE key component to cross training. Going skiing one weekend is not cross training, country skiing once a month is not cross training. Random acts of physical activity that are hard on you, make you soar or think, “wow what a workout!, I hurt soooo much”, are not cross training. Cross training is an activity that trains aspects of your primary sport and aspects that are not directly used in your primary sport but still important. Most important is that one can participate in this activity frequently enough to become efficient at it and rep the true benefits from that activity. Other wise your just beating your head against the wall. Which can be fun and all but it won’t make you any faster.
Check out the race reports for a winter training article on how to make the most of your time. Also seen in the coming Jan. 07, PTS newsletter.

No comments: